Estimator/Project Manager, Saginaw office
The Estimator/Project Manager will be responsible for supporting the estimating department of the Saginaw group and the day-to-day operation of field and shop projects under his/her control. He/she shall also provide oversight leadership to superintendents, foreman and crews in the areas of operations, safety, quality, and marketing/business development. This position is located in Saginaw, Michigan.
Persons in this position shall be able to effectively perform the following tasks:
- Review proposal specifications, drawings, attend pre-bid meetings, etc. to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate.
- Contact subcontractors and suppliers, and assemble accurate and competitive estimates.
- Prepare contracts and negotiate revisions, changes and additions to contractual agreements with architects, consultants, clients, suppliers and subcontractors.
- Prepare discipline estimates by calculating complete takeoff of scope work and submit budget estimates, progress and cost tracking reports.
- Maintain all electronic and paper files of working documents as back-up for estimate figures.
- Use technology to evaluate construction methods and determine plan cost-effectiveness.
- Work with the purchasing department to obtain information and prices from suppliers.
- Complete and submit the required bid documentation such as bid form, bonding, resumes, references, breakdowns, schedules, etc.
- May review design options and recommend best solution based on cost, engineering quality or availability of materials.
- Track submitted bids, gaining feedback on current markets, competitor's and customer's needs.
- Attend post bid meetings with customers, subcontractors or suppliers.
- Be prepared to facilitate bid review with manager prior to submission of bid. This would entail having all bid information prepared and organized for a manager review.
- Ensure that all bid documents and information of successful bids are provided to the Project Manager through the use of a project turnover meeting.
- Track and assist operations with awarded contracts and projects as required. This may include estimating/pricing extra work items, change orders, credit, procuring materials, etc.
- Travel to customer location or job site for pre and post bid meetings as required.
- Schedule the project in logical steps and budget time required to meet deadlines.
- Confer with supervisory personnel, owners, contractors, and design professionals to discuss and resolve matters such as work procedures, complaints, and construction problems.
- Interpret and explain plans and contract terms to administrative staff, workers and clients, representing the owner or developer.
- Plan, organize, and direct activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities and systems.
- Take actions to deal with the results of delays, bad weather, or emergencies at construction site.
- Inspect and review projects to monitor compliance with building and safety codes, and other regulations.
- Study job specifications to determine appropriate construction methods.
- Reference contracts to adequately identify RFI's and change orders.
- Select, contract and oversee subcontractors.
- Obtain all necessary permits and licenses.
- Direct and supervise workers.
- Develop and implement quality control programs.
- Ensure compliance with W. Soule safety program.
- Investigate any property damage, worker accidents, or delays at construction sites, to ensure that proper procedures are being carried out.
- Determine labor requirements and dispatch workers to construction sites.
- Any other duties as assigned.
Tools & Technology
Persons in this position shall have the ability to proficiently utilize the following tools & technologies associated with the job:
- Ability to understand field tools.
- Proficient use of computers and smart phone.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite including: Project, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Proficient use of QuickPen, AutoBid, mechanical estimating software and Spectrum.
Skills & Abilities
Persons in this position shall exhibit the following skills and abilities:
- Ability to effectively manage one's time and the time of others to efficiently meet proposal and project deadlines.
- Able to give full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Ability to talk to others to convey information effectively.
- Ability to bring others together to reconcile differences.
- Use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Ability to identify potential obstructions and impedances often associated with construction process.
- Motivate, develop, and direct people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Monitor/assess performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Ability to adjust actions in relation to others' actions.